Character Study ANASTASIA's Christy Altomare



I'm Christy Altomare, and I play Anya in the Broadway musical Anastasia. Anya is a young, stong, woman living in Russia, dealing with amnesia. She is taking this journey to try to find where she came from. And she has this feeling it might be in Paris.

Anya always has a strong will. Anya goes from a street sweeper to a princess and all of the regal-ness that comes along with that. It's an incredibly demanding role, but also incredibly rewarding to get to play it eight shows a week. I feel that Anya parallels my life in a way.

I am this girl. I have this girl's complexities and this girl's heartbreak and this girl's strength and a lot of that comes from great character development and great writing on the part of Terrence McNally. So, walking in, and even to this day I feel a very strong connection to Anya. When I come into this theater every day, I want to make sure that I'm a clean palette.

That I'm wiped clean of the day before, and the day before that, and I'm not doing a carbon copy every day, and that I'm bringing something new to the character every day, and something fresh so when the audience sees it, I feel it in a fresh way, and they see it with fresh eyes. When I wear my costumes, I feel so strong. I don't know how else to explain it, but I feel like first act, when I put on that brown coat, I feel like Anya is ready, she's like, it's like I'm suited up like a Sumo warrior or something. The chills always go through me every single day doing that one step I feel like I'm a ninja, suited up to go into battle, and it's a really cool feeling.

What's so rewarding about the character of Anya is that she keeps moving forward I, as Christy Altomare, get to say, just like that character and the reason you're connected to Anya You get to move forward and achieve your dreams, too. If you have the courage and the heart to do it. [Offscreen: Mic check]
--Come in! I think that's a human instinct that we all feel is  how many times has there ever been something that, deep in your gut, you know you wanted to do, but you were so afraid to do it and then when you finally did it, you said, "Oh, that wasn't so hard, that wasn't so bad. Why was I so afraid?" And if we could all just move into our fear to realize things aren't so scary, we would all be  much happier people and living our dreams and doing the things that we're meant to do on this planet.

That's the dream. The dream is getting to be live in a moment, and feel completely safe at the same time. Knowing that everyone on the stage with you has your back. Before I step on stage, this is a funny thing, but I always say a little silent prayer, I guess, in my head before I go on stage every single show.

And I say, "Just play." When you think of it as playing, there's like almost this happy energy that goes through my body, and I remember why I love to do this, and it takes me to another place. Which I'm grateful for..

Character Study ANASTASIA's Christy Altomare

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Anastasia Beverly Hills Blush Trio - Pool Party Review & Swatches on Pale SkinCruelty Free Vegan

The Secret of Anastasia - Phelous

Anastasia (Dingo Pictures) - Phelous